The Accordion Community
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Making your own reed wax

Making your own reed wax 1 year 10 months ago #7159

• geo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Well, I did end up making 20oz of reed wax. Much simpler than I ever thought.
The first step is to put 4oz of pine rosin (small pieces) into a large coffee tin can placed on an electric burner set on low-med heat level allowing it to melt slowly vs burning and ruining it. The rosin needs much higher temps of to melt than beeswax so it has to be melted prior to adding the beeswax which melts at 140 `F. The rosin melted soon enough and then I added the 16 oz of beeswax pellets to melt in slowly , stirred well and poured into wax paper lined 10" sq alum (disposable) sheet pans to cool and harden. Now I can cut into manageable sized pieces for repair or whatever. The cost was about $8 US for the rosin and $12 for the beeswax. (all available on Ebay)

Later note: After the wax is set up and cooled , the wax paper can be peeled off and the wax wrapped in a plastic food (cellophane) wrap or a plastic baggie for storage .
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Making your own reed wax 1 year 10 months ago #7166

• IvoryLeague
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been making my own for quite a while . I add some linseed oil to the mixture ,makes it flow easier

Making your own reed wax 1 year 10 months ago #7167

• geo
  • Platinum Boarder
IvoryLeague wrote:
I have been making my own for quite a while . I add some linseed oil to the mixture ,makes it flow easier
Yes, most recipes call for a small amount of linseed oil and probably as safe and as good as any other recipe.
I simply chose to eliminate it as per the advice of an old time rebuilder who claims while the pine rosin is used soley for it's adhesive properties , linseed oil also makes beeswax adhesive but will cause the wax to harden and crack in time.
So far , I`ve done 3 accordions and I`ve had no issues with flow properties without the linseed oil and the wax itself has super good adhesive properties.
That all said, I certainly won`t be around long enough to ever know which recipe is superior.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by geo.

Making your own reed wax 1 year 8 months ago #7168

• plasteraccordion
  • Thank you received: 7
hey guys- long time- how much linseed- i know its explosive stuff- do you add to mixture- happy new year
steve

Making your own reed wax 1 year 8 months ago #7171

• geo
  • Platinum Boarder
Start with a 5% linseed oil.
10 % should make it flow faster but personally I`m skeptical of it being too thin.
Moderators: plasteraccordion, shadow
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds